The First Post.


So you stumbled onto yet another financial blog.  You're probably wondering "Who is this person?" and "Why should I listen to them?"  or perhaps you're wondering "Why is pizza a circle that we cut into triangles then put into a square box?"  Fear not intrepid reader for I will answer two of these questions in this very post.


In 2005 I graduated college with a degree in business and after a brief stint of aimless wandering I found a job at a regional American bank.  Fresh faced and full of misplaced optimism I was sure that the entry level position I accepted would only last a year as my meteoric rise to the top would soon propel me to greatness.  Sadly dear reader this delusion of grandeur would not come to pass.

I bought my first home right before the housing market crash and ensuing recession of 2008.  Opportunities at the bank were drying up as departments were reorganized to make processes more efficient as we prepared for a merger.  That's bank speak for no one was getting promoted because they were too busy firing everyone as they prepared to go out of business.  As things progressed over the next couple of years the CEO spun his parachute of gold and exited the vessel.  If the captain wasn't going down with his own ship, you can bet the rats were racing out of there.  As a Canadian bank took the reigns I parted ways with the company.  After four years at my first post college job I was ready for a new adventure.

I went to work with a major American insurance company as a financial adviser.  I learned a great deal about investments and insurance during my year with this company, however the commission only pay structure was very stressful.  The work was heavily affecting my personal relationships.  My boss's job looked way more stressful than mine, so I didn't even want a promotion.  The job followed me home every night.  I decided to change course.

Freshly divorced and back in the same entry level position I started in 5 years ago things were just flipping peachy.  The difference this time?  I was doing this entry level position for a major bank that had just absorbed a slightly less major bank and now stretched from sea to shining sea.  Opportunities for advancement were plentiful.  Two years and three promotions later I had landed my dream job.  I had the distinct privilege of training the incoming new hires in the ways of banking.  If I was aiming to maximize my salary growth I should have switched positions years ago.  I stay because I love it.  Sharing knowledge is one of my top two favorite things in the world.  Money is my other favorite thing.

I've talked to a lot of people about money over the course of my life.  I am constantly amazed at the response I get when sharing some very basic banking concepts.  "Why didn't anyone tell us this sooner?  Why isn't financial literacy a required curriculum we begin in Elementary School?"  That my beloved reader is what brings us to the very heart of why I am writing this blog.  Why didn't anyone tell us this sooner?  Shouldn't this information be universally available to every human person in the world?  Clearly I wasn't doing enough to spread my message.  I needed a taller podium, a larger microphone and a much bigger audience.  The path ahead was clear.  Drop everything I'm doing and dedicate my life to spreading the money gospel.  Learning from the experiences of others is a powerful tool.  Trying to learn everything without the help of others is known as doing it the Hard Way.  Why isn't it polite to talk about money?  Who benefits from your ignorance?  Let's start talking about it.  More importantly, let's start listening.

I'm starting with a blog because it's free, and I don't have to quit my day job.  Until they read the blog obviously.  By then I hope to be popular enough to sustain that loss.  (Just kidding right guys?  My clear yet engaging writing style demonstrates my value. So you're still going to let me keep my job right?)  Right then, let's get this show on the road.

We are going to start things off very basic.  I will attempt to explain things to you as if you were an alien from outer space who came from a culture that had no concept of currency.  For my more financially savvy readers, hang in there, we will tackle more advanced topics as the blog progresses.  Feel free to share your own financial experiences in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment